The weather is starting to cool down here in Pittsburgh. To get myself ready for fall, I decided to make some vegan black bean soup. Yum! I used a modified version of the recipe found
here. It’s a pretty easy recipe that can be made vegan or non-vegan (switch the broth and sour cream). The hardest part is chopping the veggies. That task was given to my boyfriend; he’s so helpful. I apologize because I don’t have pictures of the entire process. It didn’t cross my mind to blog this recipe until after the cooking was finished.
- 1.5-2 c black beans (this is after preparing dried beans, not sure of the canned equivalent)
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ of an onion, chopped
- ½ of green pepper, chopped
- ½ of jalapeno pepper, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cilantro (add this at the very end)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- dash of taste
- 1 can diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- 2 c water
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- frozen corn
- sour cream
Ready, Set, Cook!
- Sauté the onions and green peppers in olive oil. I let them carmelize because the flavor is amazing.
- Mix in the tomatoes and jalapeno peppers.
- Add the black beans.
- Transfer everything to a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce and let simmer for about 45 minutes
- I like a thicker, yet still brothy soup, so I spooned out 2/3c and pureed it in a blender then returned it to the pot.
Repeat once. Let cook for the remaining 45 minutes.
- Add the frozen corn.
- Add the cilantro ( I use the frozen cilantro cubes from Trader Joes).
- Garnish, Serve, Eat & Enjoy!